Review: The Astonishing Life of Octavian Nothing by M.T.Anderson

THE FACTS: 
            Title: The Astonishing Life of Octavian Nothing:  Traitor to the Nation, Volume I The Pox Party
            Author:  M.T. Anderson
            Publication Date:  2006
            Pages:  353
Round of applause:  National Book Award Winner, Printz Honor Book, ALA Top Ten Best Books for Young Adults



SUMMARY:
            This novel opens in the home of a group of philosophers during the late 18th century in Boston.  Octavian lives in this house with his mother who is an African princess.  Octavian is given the best of classical educations, but he eventually discovers that his education, upbringing and his very presence in the house have been part of an experiment.  Not only have he and his mother been studied like lab animals, but they also share a similar level of freedom with such domestic creatures:  they are slaves.  Over time the nature of the philosophers’ interests become clearer to Octavian, but when the philosophers irreverently intrude upon his mother’s death, Octavian flees.  He joins the revolutionary forces, and, as the novel progresses, contemplates the nature of freedom through a series of trials.
           
E’S 2 CENTS:
            I just couldn’t get into this book and I can’t figure out why.  The premise is interesting, the themes complex and engaging, the writing—though indirect and somewhat tedious at the beginning—is beautiful… even the cover is enticing… so what’s the problem?  I need to give it another good skim before I can figure it out.  I’ll be sure to repost when I get a handle on this one.  … But in the meantime, I’ll give it the benefit of the doubt and say it’s worth a read.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

About this blog

For me, reading has always been like breathing: something I never questioned, something vital to my existence that I simply did. I set my appetite on the reliable feast of “classics” and never looked back. While I still adore classic novels and new fiction aimed at adults, my perception of YA lit is beginning to turn around.

It will be my goal in this blog to write about some of my new favorites from this genre.
I wont be afraid to get critical, but I wont include any spoilers either… promise. I’m sure I’ll throw in comments on other books I’m reading/have read from the classics or adult fiction just to spice it up—but this blog will mostly be about me exploring, for the first time, the growing tracts of YA literature.

Happy Reading!

--E