Review: My Most Excellent Year by Steve Kluger


THE FACTS: 
            Title:  My Most Excellent Year
            Author:  Steve Kluger
            Publication Date:  2008
            Pages:  402
Round of applause: 

SUMMARY:

E’S 2 CENTS:
            Eh.  Don’t get me wrong, it’s refreshing to have an easy feel good read, but My Most Excellent Year is far from the most excellent book I’ve read for this class.  There just wasn’t anything particularly extraordinary about it.  It’s sweet and inoffensive, but with enough setbacks (predictable as they may be) and salt to keep you reading.  Reading this book was about equivalent to watching a season of a sitcom:  there was a moral and feel good thread throughout, all the major problems were resolved, the characters were predictable but entertaining, and, by the end, while a little sad to say goodbye to the story, no one was jumping up and down to call it great art.  So, take it with you on your next road trip (provided you’re not driving of course) or weekend at the beach, but if you want a book with some grit and imagination, I’d try another title.  

0 comments:

Post a Comment

About this blog

For me, reading has always been like breathing: something I never questioned, something vital to my existence that I simply did. I set my appetite on the reliable feast of “classics” and never looked back. While I still adore classic novels and new fiction aimed at adults, my perception of YA lit is beginning to turn around.

It will be my goal in this blog to write about some of my new favorites from this genre.
I wont be afraid to get critical, but I wont include any spoilers either… promise. I’m sure I’ll throw in comments on other books I’m reading/have read from the classics or adult fiction just to spice it up—but this blog will mostly be about me exploring, for the first time, the growing tracts of YA literature.

Happy Reading!

--E